Title: Collections Specialist
Reports To: Managing Director, Operations / Manager, Operations
Position Summary: Under general supervision, this role is primarily responsible for performing administrative duties concerning the collection of outstanding rent as it relates to the portfolio of properties under CAPREIT.
- Maintain an effective system of rent collection and to initiate follow-ups where payments are not made on the due date.
- Initiate and follow legal and collection proceedings where necessary. Specifically, this involves issuing statements and/or discrepancy letters.
- Record and notify tenants of returned cheques.
- To issue cheque requisitions for tenant refunds and distribution of tenant interest cheques in a timely manner and in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Communicating with Property Manager regarding tenant arrears and complaints.
- Communicate with Property Manager and Site Staff regarding tenant and building issues.
- To maintain a neat and orderly office area including proper filing of documentation.
- Determines most effective and economical means of collecting for each account; applies standard due diligence practices to collect monies owed; composes correspondence requiring knowledge of procedures and practices in collections and sends a variety of standard collection letters.
- Advises debtor with past due accounts of proper payment schedules and the principles of credit and credit standings.
- Applies payments received to proper accounts, keeping accurate accounting records of each transaction; reconciles records with computer reports; makes necessary adjustments or corrections.
- Maintains files on all past due accounts, documenting details of methods utilized to secure payment.
- Contacts customer and establishes reason for past due account situation; makes arrangements for payments to bring account current and follows up to ensure obligation is satisfied.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in accounting, administrative or property management, collections
- Knowledge of standard collection procedures.
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience with accounting software and Microsoft Word/Excel
- Demonstrated history of outstanding customer relations skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
CAPREIT values diversity in the workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
CAPREIT welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.