Montreal, Québec (Bilingualism in French and English is required)
Reporting to the Director, Environmental and Health & Safety, the Environmental and Health & Safety (“EHS”) Coordinator provides technical guidance to operations teams to support implementation of EHS policies and procedures, best practices, the internal corporate safety system, and support CAPREIT’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements across Canada, Ireland, and the Netherlands.
- Research EHS standards for all jurisdictions in which CAPREIT operates and advise internal stakeholders on applicable statutory and regulatory requirements;
- Assist in developing, implementing, maintaining, supporting, and continually improving corporate and operations EHS policies, programs, procedures and related documents including manuals, plans, and guidelines;
- Review vendor health & safety documentation to assess and mitigate contractor related risk;
- Monitor employees and vendors for compliance to safety procedures, regulatory requirements, and EGS management system;
- Coordinate the implementation and maintenance of an internal hazardous materials management system, as directed;
- Prepare documentation for submission to regulatory bodies, as directed;
- Work with the operations team to ensure safety processes are being followed and are working as intended;
- Maintain an inventory of compliance documents;
- Prepare / Update monthly, quarterly and annual reports, as directed.
- Intake all incidents and assist in incident investigations, as directed;
- Analyze incidents for trends, non-conformity with the safety system or opportunities for improved safety processes and report findings to the Director EHS (quarterly).
Program Development & Implementation
- Assist in the preparation or update of programs and procedures (i.e Asbestos, Confined Space, Spill Control, Mould Management, etc.);
- Ensure all locations have current documentation, at all times;
- Assist operations personnel with implementation of the EHS programs.
- Assist with the preparation of consultant tenders/requests for proposals for EHS projects;
- Coordinate environmental projects (e.g. Phase I ESAs, Phase II ESAs, site remediation, hazardous materials surveys/abatement, etc.), as directed;
- Maintain environmental inventory with including summary reporting;
- Coordinate environmental insurance for acquisitions, disposition, claims, and incidents.
- Plan, coordinate, and participate in health and safety training, as directed;
- Assess training courses for compliance to legislation and make appropriate recommendations for new or additional training.
- University or College education with a focus in EHS or similar discipline;
- 3 to 5 years of related experience, preferably within a real estate setting;
- Familiarity working with vendors to manage supply chain risks;
- Experience with and knowledge of compliance frameworks for EHS;
- Demonstrated knowledge of occupational health and safety legislation;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent time management skills; delivering on multiple deadlines;
- Knowledge of national and provincial fire codes is an asset;
- Excellent presentation and communication skills;
- Proficient Microsoft Office skills are required;
- Valid Drivers’ license
- Bilingualism in French and English is required
- Some periodic travel;
- Available to be on call as part of emergency response;
- High sensitivity to timelines with moderate overtime required from time to time.
Please note that applications from all interested individuals are appreciated; however, we will only contact candidates that are selected for an interview.
CAPREIT values diversity in the workforce, is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process