The Energy Manager will be responsible for the identification, implementation and reporting of energy saving opportunities across the CAPREIT portfolio. They will assist in fulfilling the requirements of the Energy Conservation and Demand Management (CDM) Programs from the Ontario Power Authority, in coordination with IESO.
- Energy Saving Opportunities &Action Plan - Identify, assess, prioritize and recommend to senior management energy-saving opportunity projects including both capital improvement projects and operational and maintenance changes. This will include the preparation of business cases to justify capital expenditures and the completion of applications to LDC CDM initiatives and to other agencies to maximize funding available for energy-saving projects.
- Budgeting & Forecasting– Assist in preparing and maintaining the annual capital expenditure budget for all Energy Conservation projects across CAPREIT’s portfolio. Participate in quarterly forecasting exercises to maintain an updated project pipeline to ensure accurate implementation of expected budget execution.
- Energy Tracking & Monitoring - Provide a database and an energy tracking and monitoring system for each Facility / process that captures current monthly energy consumption and an electrical load inventory of major equipment.
- Primary Assessment– Review existing energy study reports and perform a high-level assessment, including a walk through audit of each major process area of each site, to identify energy saving opportunities and to identify which systems will require more detailed evaluations.
- Maintenance and Operating Schedules - Working with Technical Services, review and provide a description of the control systems, operating schedules, and maintenance practices at each facility/process to identify operational savings. Develop maintenance practices and programs to enhance energy efficiency. Examples would include: reprogramming controls to shutdown equipment and lighting when not required, developing a checklist to ensure that all shutdown procedures are properly implemented and followed.
- Project Implementation & Electrical Energy Savings– Coordinate the implementation of energy-saving projects, including the planning, budgeting, and scheduling for the design, installation, commissioning, and verification of energy efficiency projects. It is expected that a project manager would be assigned for large capital projects.
- Measurement & Verification – Implemented Measurement and Verification strategies on projects as required for CDM & CAPREIT reporting needs.
- Sustainability-Driven Behaviour and Business Process Improvements– Work to create and foster a sustainable culture at CAPREIT and provide an avenue for employees to recognize and report issues and ideas regarding energy conservation and efficiency.
- Assistance to LDC Projects– Coordinate and assist with site inspections by the LDC/OPA from time to time of the various measures implemented at the sole discretion of the LDC/OPA, as the case may be. Collect relevant information regarding additional electrical energy use (equipment purchases, schedule changes, occupancy changes or construction).
- Reporting– Assist with completing Quarterly Reports as part of the OPA Energy Manager program (pending program availability).
- Professional designation as a Certified Engineering Technician / Technologist (CET), a Certified Energy Manager (CEM) or a licensed professional engineer of Ontario (PEng) an asset
- A strong background in multi-residential energy use and energy management
- Highly organized and ability to work independently
- High proficiency in office computer applications (i.e. Microsoft Excel, Word, Vision, Power Point)
- Excellent communication skills